It’s NOT SMOKE
Vaping: To inhale vapor from a personal vaporizor (PV), commonly referred to as an electronic cigarette or e-cig. The term “smoking” doesn’t apply because a PV doesn’t produce any smoke, only vapor.
Vape: Used to describe the act of vaping as well as the vaporizor itself. e.g. I love being able to vape in the airport.
When a PV is triggered (either by an inhale or with a button press) the battery is connected to the heating element (atomizer) which boils a tiny amount of liquid (e-Juice). This creates a vapor which is inhaled by the user. At no point is anything burned through the process of combustion so no smoke/ash/tar is ever created.
Comparison to a cigarette
Just the simple act of burning something creates all sorts of stuff you really don’t want to be inhaling on a regular basis. In addition to all that, here are some other goodies that are added to cigarettes:
For those of you who don’t want to read the whole list, here are some of the good ones (credit to http://www.provape.com/E-Cig-FAQ-s/32.htm):
• Acetone – ingredient in nail polish remover
• Methanol – used as rocket fuel
• Naphthylamine – a carcinogen
• Pyrene – a carcinogen
• Naphthalene – moth repellent
• Cadmium – used in batteries, a carcinogen
• Carbon monoxide – poisonous gas
• Vinyl Chloride – used in plastic materials
• Cyanhydric acid – poisonous gas
• Ammonia – industrial cleaner and detergent
• Arsenic – lethal poison
• Dibenzacridine – a carcinogen
• Polonium 210 – a radioactive element
• DDT – insecticide
• Formaldehyde – embalming fluid
No one can tell you 100% that there are no consequences to vaping as sufficient studies haven’t been done, but at least you know the vary few ingredients and can make an informed decision.
Try this simple test: Take a drag on a cigarette, hold a paper towel over your mouth, and exhale sharply. Pretty gross huh. Do the same with a PV. When I did this test, the paper towel was a little damp but totally clear. I let it dry for a few min and the wet spot was totally gone. No discoloration at all even when I held it up to the light.